It's that time of the week again and we've got some more super #MatchaMonday recipes for you to try using matcha green tea! For those of you battling with this scorching summer heat, we've got a refreshingly tangy matcha and mint iced tea, and for those of you wanting something a little more indulgent, well we've got just the thing for you - matcha shortbread!
Matcha and Mint Iced Tea
Handful of mint leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
Few slices of lemon
3 tsp Just Matcha green tea powder
1 litre water
Honey to taste
1. Mix the matcha green tea powder with a few drops of water to make a paste (to incorporate the matcha and avoid lumps).
2. Add the lemon juice and honey and mix.
3. Add the water, mint leaves, a few slices of lemon and ice.
4. Refrigerate until refreshingly cool and then serve.
Matcha Green Tea Shortbread
3/4 cup Icing Sugar
1 1/2 tbs Just Matcha green tea powder
10 tbs/ 140g butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cup flour
3 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar (to coat the dough)
1. Preheat oven to 175° C
2. Whisk the icing sugar and matcha powder together.
3. Beat the butter and matcha sugar together in a stand mixer (use paddle attachment) until butter is smooth and light.
4. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
5. Mix in the egg yolks until they are incorporated and the dough comes together.
6. Roll the dough into a tube/log shape and wrap in cling film. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until dough is firm.
7. Cut the dough into pieces - just over 1cm thickness.
8. Roll the shapes in the granulated sugar and place on baking paper/greased baking tray.
9. Bake the cookies for 12 - 15 minutes (25 minutes for us), or until they begin to turn golden at the edges.
10. Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar.
11. Store in airtight container away from sunlight as the colour will fade with exposure to the sun. It's also advisable to store them in the fridge as the taste of the matcha may change.